Monday, March 25, 2013

Swingy, dangly things

These earrings have a vaguely equestrian feel to me. I love the way the glass moves on the crossbar. I'm still working out how to photography small objects, so for now I am just using things around the house.



The birthday girls seems to like them the way they are, and she pulls them off with great aplomb, but I think I might make the glass part smaller.  For glass people, they are Effetre black with Raku frit, rolled on cold brass to cool quickly, and finished in a reducing (low oxygen) flame to develop the colors.

The metal is hammered sterling silver.

And now for my glass and science friends, here is an amazing demonstration of the Prince Rupert’s Drop: The Curious Properties of a Molten Glass Blob Dropped in Cold Water at www.thisiscolossal.com.  Thanks to glass artist Bob Hoffmeyer
for posting it on his Facebook page.

Be sure to watch the high-speed video.


No comments:

Post a Comment